I guess now that you can buy a Linux Eee PC at costco, the joneses at myspace seem to have teamed up with everex to offer a cool-looking high-end dual-core laptop-equivalent mini-PC for $899 ( T5300 2MB L2 Cache,
1.73GHz) or a $499.99 ( T2130 1MB L2 Cache, 1.86GHz)... not exactly cutting edge, but on the other hand, a potentially safer internet experience for a kid, where they won't be able to accidentally download/execute the latest .exe spyware.
So maybe rather than "myspace" the reality is this is a computer targetted towards kids, teens and social computing users, who will find that almost all the software is of superior quality, compared to expensive proprietary closed-source. For example, there is no need for any parent to ever pay money for Microsoft Works or Word. It's a giant piece of crap, especially Works, which is a piece of bloatware that Dell or HP sell with their computers so that you don't unpack the box and realize you've spent hundreds of dollars for a machine that plays solitaire. Save yourself the hassles of wasting time with that disk-space-wasting copy of Microsoft Works. Delete it.. install OpenOffice, and do yourself or your kids a favor.
And note that the "myspace" computer from everex includes the full OpenOffice suite... and also the gOS Linux distro, the gOS desktop, 3d window manager, etc. See this review for details, or check out the advertisement below:
Posted by Niels P. Mayer in Technology at 20080430 Comments
Search This Site
- anti-fascist bailout proposal
- creative destruction at work: is recent US economic collapse final stage of fascist coup?
- bottom line regarding "war on terror"
- agrobacterium peptides cause "mad cow disease" and morgellons (was Re: gulf war syndrome, lyme, morgellons and autoimmune diseases VS peptide amino-acid therapy)
- What does MySpace have to do with selling an interesting Linux-based Mini-PC?
- WPAFB develops Morgellons and Gay Bomb!
- chromeless player test via SWFAddress
- testing youtube chromeless player API
- OMG regarding burningman 2008
- testing embedding JW FLV player
- Dr. Harvey's Latest Statements Re Morgellons and Mutant Worms
- what exactly are statins anyways?
- Family Car Featured in Jalopnik Goes Car Hunting
- Wankerati vs Digerati
- which tick bit you and what did it give you?
- Mechanism of Action Unknown and Chemical Imbalance
- Morgellons epidemiology, California
- New Heart Device Allows Cheney To Experience Love
- Thousand-Hand Guanyin
- Morgellons discovery & cure ?!?